Tuesday, May 18, 2010

athens greece 2005

I landed in Athens Greece on July 17, 2005.  No set plans or reservations.  it was early afternoon and i collected all of the free information, maps, pamphlets and anything i could grab while walking through the airport.  my next move was to get the bus and hit Plaka, near the acropolis.  this was a wonderful yet slightly nerve racking moment since i just wanted to land at the little hotel my sister recommended before it got dark.  i caught the right bus and landed in the center of the city in no time.  next i walked into the corner travel agents office and asked if they could direct my to the acropolis view hotel.  this was by far the best beginning to what would be the most exciting thing I have ever done in my life....besides the huge rush i had sky diving at 36.

as luck would have it i found the hotel and had my room in no time.  i walked to the market, bought a few perishable items and went back to the rooftop warm view of the acropolis an arms length away.  as the sun set and the lights garnished the beautiful evening setting, i sat and sipped retsina, had some fabulous cheese, crackers and grapes and thanked the stars that shined down on me.  this was the moment i felt most alive in my entire life.  my little room was cooled with the evening air and the fresh smell of this unknown, but most loved and known in my soul, spectacular land.  i had arrived.  that night i slept as though i had just awakened from a long life's journey to the only place i could ever imagine being.  my days to follow would be the most freeing and adventurous that life could offer...of course they eventually led me to the place where.....i married a greek.  more to come....xoxoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
i married a greek
i traveled to greece for a 6 week unplanned trip in july 2005. a backpack full of mix n match white cotton clothing and a few toiletries was my home. i stayed for 5 months. the rest will follow.
View my complete profile

Followers